A new, remastered live album containing the Beatles' performances at the Hollywood Bowl in 1964 and 1965 will be released this fall. The album, Live at the Hollywood Bowl, coincides with a new documentary by Ron Howard about the band's early career, dubbed Eight Days a Week – The Touring Years.
The album contains recordings from three different concerts, which took place on August 23rd, 1964 and August 29th and 30th, 1965, and the repertoire covers many of their early hits, including "Twist and Shout," "Ticket to Ride" and "A Hard Days Night," among others.
Although the group put out the platinum-selling The Beatles at the Hollywood Bowl in 1977, the new record contains a different track list with four previously unreleased songs. The recordings were sourced directly from the three-track tapes of the concerts and were remixed and mastered at Abbey Road by George Martin's son, Giles, and engineer Sam Okell.
"Technology has moved on since my father worked on the material all those years ago," Giles said in a statement. "Now there's improved clarity, and so the immediacy and visceral excitement can be heard like never before. … What we hear now is the raw energy of four lads playing together to a crowd that loved them. This is the closest you can get to being at the Hollywood Bowl at the height of Beatlemania."
A CD and digital edition will come out on September 9th, while a vinyl LP is due out on November 18th. The album includes a 24-page booklet with liner notes by Rolling Stone's David Fricke.
The Howard doc will focus on the Beatles between 1962 and 1966 and has been produced with the cooperation of Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Yoko Ono Lennon and Olivia Harrison. The film will get a world premiere in London on September 15th. Hulu users in the U.S. will be able to stream it on September 17th.
The Beatles, Live at the Hollywood Bowl Track List
1. "Twist and Shout" [August 30th, 1965]
2. "She's A Woman" [August 30th, 1965]
3. "Dizzy Miss Lizzy" [August 30th, 1965 / August 29th, 1965 – one edit]
4. "Ticket to Ride" [August 29th, 1965]
5. "Can't Buy Me Love" [August 30th, 1965]
6. "Things We Said Today" [August 23rd, 1964]
7. "Roll Over Beethoven" [August 23rd, 1964]
8. "Boys" [August 23rd, 1964]
9. "A Hard Day's Night" [August 30th, 1965]
10. "Help!" [August 29th, 1965]
11. "All My Loving" [August 23rd, 1964]
12. "She Loves You" [August 23rd, 1964]
13. "Long Tall Sally" [August 23rd, 1964]
14. "You Can't Do That" [August 23rd, 1964] *
15. "I Want To Hold Your Hand" [August 23rd, 1964] *
16. "Everybody's Trying to Be My Baby" [August 30th, 1965] *
17. "Baby's In Black" [August 30th, 1965] *
* previously unreleased