Prince's Family: 'There Has Been No Memorial, Funeral or Tribute Service'

Prince's Family: 'There Has Been No Memorial, Funeral or Tribute Service'


Prince's Family: 'There Has Been No Memorial, Funeral or Tribute Service' news

Two weeks after Prince was remembered by a small group of family, friends and musicians at a private memorial ceremony held at his Paisley Park compound, the singer’s family issued a statement noting that no “authorized” service has taken place yet.

“We would like everyone to know that, contrary to previous and current reports, there has been no memorial, funeral or tribute service for Prince that was organized or authorized by the family or Paisley Park representatives,” the family said in a statement to People. “Together, the family is planning an official memorial service and public event to take place in the near future.”

On April 23rd, two days after Prince’s death, the singer’s representative Yvette Noel-Schure issued a statement saying Prince’s remains had been cremated and that “their final resting place will remain private.” “A few hours ago, Prince was celebrated by a small group of his most beloved: family, friends and his musicians, in a private, beautiful ceremony to say a loving goodbye,” Noel-Schure added. “We ask for your blessings and prayers of comfort for his family and close friends at this time… An announcement will be made at a future date for a musical celebration.”

Prince drummer Sheila E., who was among the small group in attendance, said of the private ceremony, “It was very somber, quiet. We were playing his songs, his music at a low volume and it was hard to hear. Some songs were harder than others to listen to,” the drummer said of the memorial. “Later on, kind of saying, ‘We could sit here for weeks or a month and listen to all the songs that he’s recorded and not duplicate one song,’ and you can’t really say that with any other artist that has that much music. But it was hard, a lot of crying, a lot of grieving. We were all holding each other up.”

However, following that private memorial two weeks ago, the singer’s family have promised that they will announce a public Prince remembrance as well as their own “official” memorial event.

“Prince and his music influenced so many people that we feel inspired to celebrate his life and legacy in just the right way,” the statement continued. “We appreciate the public’s patience and have been comforted by your outpouring of love, support and condolences. We look forward to sharing with the world this celebration of, and farewell to, our Prince. Details will be coming soon.”

The family’s statement arrived on the same day that the Minnesota judge overseeing Prince’s estate case ordered for a DNA test of the artist’s hair in an attempt to ward off false heirs as he left no will at the time of his death. On Monday, the beginning of what could be a lengthy legal battle over the singer’s estate got off to a relatively amicable start at a Minnesota court house.